Plastic surgery gone wrong is a popular Google search term. And yes…plastic surgery, especially rhinoplasty treatments have been known to go wrong, especially when patients have not researched their surgeons well enough. Remember Michael Jackson’s nose? This only goes to show that even celebrities are not immune to such surgical errors and this is considering the fact that they have access to the best surgical care in the world. Why then does Rhinoplasty go wrong? Naturally, the best Rhinoplasty Surgeon India can increase your chances of getting amazing and more natural results, but, there are several other factors apart from the surgeon’s skills (your genes, health, lifestyle habits etc) that all end up contributing to the prognosis of the surgery. So, in this guide, we will take a look at common Rhinoplasty issues that could come up post-surgery.
Rhinoplasty is one of the trickiest cosmetic surgeries. It is important to get it right the first time you get it done. This is because the revision rhinoplasty is very complex as once the nasal anatomy is changed, it is very hard to re-correct it. Hence, it is best to get a rhinoplasty done from a surgeon who has expertise in performing rhinoplasties.
Reasons why a Rhinoplasty surgery can go wrong
Rhinoplasty is one of the trickiest of cosmetic surgeries and poor techniques used make matters worse. Many patients are known to end up with permanent nose deformities that need multiple corrective surgeries, and hence, researching your Rhinoplasty Surgeon India is a given. Here are some common problems arising after rhinoplasty.
- Pollybeak deformity– This is a highly common ‘rhinoplasty gone wrong’ scenario. Overzealous surgeons without adequate experience end up filling the little dip above the tip of the nose a bit too much. The result: the nose gets a beak-like appearance that causes it to literally turn downwards.
- Over-extended nose tip– This is another common mistake made by inexperienced Rhinoplasty surgeons, especially in case of patients looking to get rid of a bump on their noses. Nasal tip reconstruction is a highly skilled surgical procedure which only a surgeon having tons of experience can achieve.
- Knuckling– Knuckling or tip bossae occurs when the cartilage on the sides of the nose is over cut causing it to lose its springiness. The result is an unflattering twisted distorted cartilage that creates knuckles or bossae which are lumpy and unsightly. While this is a correctable issue, most surgeons end up providing short term relief to the patient. To rectify the mistake, they cut more of the cartilage which, over the course of time, becomes weaker. The ideal solution is to replace the lost cartilage and restore the shape of the nose while also keeping it strong for the future.
- Nasal collapse– A nasal collapse is a terrible ‘rhinoplasty gone wrong’ scenario which often requires a second or even a third corrective surgery to fix. In this case, the valves in the narrowest part of the nose collapse after rhinoplasty. A good rhinoplasty surgeon cannot only avoid this but can also help fix it through corrective surgery for disappointed patients.
- Distorted tip– This is again a result of aggressive cosmetic surgery. There are multiple reasons why such distortion might occur- the surgeon might end up removing too much of cartilage as a result of which the nose simply collapses, or the nostrils simply become too narrow or appear “pinched”. An experienced Rhinoplasty surgeon who has performed many surgeries is more likely to give predictable and expected results.
How to avoid these issues
First of all, you must understand that when it comes to noses, one size does not fit all. Just because a specific style of the nose looks good on a celeb, it might not necessarily look good on you. That being said, when you visit the best Rhinoplasty Surgeons India, you can definitely look forward to more natural and predictable results that are in harmony with the rest of your face. The key is to not be over-obsessed with the shape of your nose-as this would only lead to heartbreak and disappointment. Be realistic and go in for multiple consultations with an experienced surgeon who is willing to take the time to hear you out.
The results of Rhinoplasty surgery also depend on several other factors. In general, individuals having good, clear, acne-free complexions, a healthy immune system, strong healing capacities, and the right genes are likelier to experience a better prognosis and a more favorable outcome following their rhinoplasty.
When choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon in India, it’s important to make sure the surgeon is fully trained in the procedure, is accredited or certified, follows high standards of safety, cleanliness, has good reviews, understands your surgical goals, and is able to explain options available to you with potential risks and complications.