Rhinoplasty (also known as “nose job”) is a cosmetic surgical procedure for correcting and reconstructing the nose, improving the functions of the nose, and aesthetically enhancing facial harmony. It is one of the most popular plastic surgeries in the world. People get rhinoplasty done if they wish to reconstruct their noses after an injury, have breathing problems, or are simply unhappy with the appearance of their noses.
Any adult who is not happy with his/her nose, in good health, and moderately fit can choose to undergo rhinoplasty. Before going through the procedure, however, it is important to research the procedure beforehand. Rhinoplasty is one of the most complex plastic surgeries, and complications can occur after the surgery. If you want to learn more about the potential risks of rhinoplasty and how to prevent them, click here.
The first and most important step to avoid complications from the surgery is selecting the right surgeon for the procedure. Most of the potential problems from the surgery can be prevented if the surgeon is qualified and experienced.
India produces some of the world’s finest doctors and surgeons who have acquired their education and training from top facilities all over the world. The big metros have top hospitals and clinics with the best plastic surgeons in India. These hospitals and clinics are also equipped with state-of-the-art equipment and experienced teams.
With so many options, choosing a surgeon may seem daunting. Below is a helpful guide to selecting the best surgeon for your needs.
Things To Remember While Selecting A Surgeon:
Here is a checklist of factors to consider and questions to ask when selecting your rhinoplasty surgeon in India:
- Are the surgeon and the surgical facility certified and accredited by a nationally or state-recognized agency, such as the Indian Association of Aesthetic Surgeons, or the Association of Plastic Surgeons in India?
- Is the surgeon trained in the field of aesthetic plastic surgery? How many years of training do they have?
- Is the surgeon specifically trained to perform rhinoplasty?
- How many total years of experience does the surgeon have in plastic surgery? How many years have they been performing rhinoplasty?
- Does the surgeon have hospital privileges to perform the procedure? If so, at which hospitals?
- Is the surgeon trained in the safest, most up-to-date techniques and treatments?
- Are you a good candidate for the procedure? To learn about who can be considered a good candidate for rhinoplasty, click here.
- What will be expected of you before and after the procedure?
- Where and how will the procedure be performed? What surgical technique is recommended for you?
- How long a recovery period can you expect? What kind of help will you need during recovery?
- What are the potential risks and complications of the procedure? How will they be handled?
- How can you expect your nose to look over time?
- What are the options if you are not satisfied with the results of the surgery?
- What are the possible complications of revision rhinoplasty?
- Can the surgeon share the before-and-after pictures of past patients and what results are reasonable for you?
Do your research and make a short list of surgeons that you believe are best for you. Consider all the factors like the surgeon’s skill, qualification, accreditation, expertise, experience, patient reviews, cost, quality care, high standards of safety, and most importantly, your level of comfort with the surgeon.
Things To Expect During Consultation:
Once you have selected a surgeon, go ahead and book a consultation. During the consultation, the surgeon should:
Consultation is the perfect time to ask all the questions and doubts you may have about the procedure. Do not be hesitant to ask as it is important to go into surgery with realistic expectations and a clear mind.
The choice to undergo rhinoplasty is a significant one, and it is necessary to select the right surgeon to get the best possible results. Do careful research and gather information from many different sources like the doctor’s website, reviews on social media, the Indian Association of Aesthetic Surgeons website, or the Association of Plastic Surgeons in India website to be sure you have accurate information. Find a surgeon who is qualified, skilled, experienced, and has a good reputation, to ensure you have a successful surgery with the best possible results.
This blog was first posted on October 14, 2015, and was last updated on June 15, 2021.